The highly anticipated heavyweight showdown between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez was an incredibly exciting bout. While the fight only lasted four minutes and one second, it was full of non-stop action that left you yelling at your television in joy (if you were a Velasquez fan) or in horror (if you were rooting for Lesnar).
Let me start by saying that what you are about to read may be completely biased, but in a time when people were doubting Cain Velasquez so much… I feel like it almost deserves an “I told you so.”
It was no surprise to people who had followed Cain closely and those that were not believing in the “Brock is huge so he will win” theory that Velasquez’s superior technique, cardio, and speed would come in to play. Velasquez was easily the more well-rounded fighter, and he proved it tonight.
Before the fight, Lesnar said after he whooped Cain’s ass he would drink a Corona and eat a burrito to celebrate his Latino heritage. One has to wonder how that burrito tastes covered in blood.
Early in the fight Cain was connecting on blows to Lesnar’s Viking beard, before the champ decided to take the fight to the mat. Velasquez immediately jumped back to the feet and continued his barrage of punches. Velasquez then took Lesnar down and rained down shot after shot until Lesnar was bloodied beyond recognition and could not take anymore damage.
Velasquez won the heavyweight title after that savage beating. Aztecs – 1, Vikings – 0. Welcome to the Cain Velasquez era, my friends.
Here are the full results for UFC 121:
- Cain Velasquez def. Brock Lesnar via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:01 to become new UFC heavyweight champion
- Jake Shields def. Martin Kampmann via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Diego Sanchez def. Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Hamill def. Tito Ortiz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Brendan Schaub def. Gabriel Gonzaga via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Court McGee def. Ryan Jensen via submission (arm triangle) – Round 3, 1:21
- Tom Lawlor def. Patrick Cote via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Roberts def. Mike Guymon via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 1, 1:13
- Sam Stout def. Paul Taylor via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Chris Camozzi def. Dongi Yang via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jon Madsen def. Gilbert Yvel via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:48