Bellator’s scheduled PPV has undergone a couple of major changes in less than 24 hours, Reports came out early Saturday that Eddie Alvarez had suffered a concussion and had to pull out a week before the scheduled lightweight title main event at the Bellator PPV between him and Michael Chandler. Bellator held a media call today with CEO Bjorn Rebney saying that the PPV is still going ahead as planned.
Bellator 120 has a new headliner, being the season 10 light heavyweight final between King Mo Lawal and Quinton Rampage Jackson, which is now dubbed “MMA’s Biggest Grudge Match”. Also, the co-main event will now be Season 9 lightweight tournament winner Will Brooks (13-1) against former lightweight champion Michael Chandler (12-1) for the Bellator interim-lightweight championship.
“Injuries are part of MMA, but so are great opportunities, as we move forward with an incredible, must see night of fights this Saturday on Pay-Per-View,” CEO Bjorn Rebney said in a Bellator press release. “This is a great card for MMA fans with huge value highlighted as Rampage Jackson is finally getting the opportunity to battle King Mo for a shot at the World Title, one of the most exciting young phenoms in MMA, Will Brooks getting a title shot against Michael Chandler, and of course Tito Ortiz in a crazy fight against Alexander Shlemenko. I can’t wait for this night of fights on May 17th.”
It was announced on the conference call that Eddie Alvarez had suffered the concussion two weeks prior during training and was attempting to continue to get cleared to fight, but unfortunately he did not recover in time and had to withdraw from the event. There is currently no timetable for Alvarez’ return.
In addition, the season 10 heavyweight finals between Blagoi Ivanov (11-0) and Alexander Volkov (20-4) has been bumped up to the PPV main card.
As for Brooks’ original opponent, Nate Jolly (13-5), Bjorn hopes to find an opponent for him to remain on the Bellator 120 card. But as for now, the Bellator 120 PPV card remains as a 13-fight card scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 17th at the Landers Center, in Southaven, Mississippi.
Bellator 120 Pay-Per-View Fight Card:
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Final: Rampage Jackson (34-11) vs. King Mo (12-3)
- Bellator Interim Lightweight World Title Fight: Michael Chandler (12-1) vs. Will Brooks (13-1)
- Alexander Shlemenko (50-7) vs. Tito Ortiz (16-11-1)
- Bellator Heavyweight Tournament Final: Blagoi Ivanov (11-0) vs. Alexander Volkov (20-4)
- Rickey Rainey (7-2) vs. Michael Page (5-0)
Bellator Spike TV Fight Card:
- Cheick Kongo (20-9) vs. Eric Smith (6-1-1)
- Shahbulat Shamhalaev (12-2) vs. Fabricio Guerreiro (19-3)
- Goiti Yamauchi (16-2) vs. Mike Richman (16-4)
Bellator Spike.com Fight Card:
- Zach Underwood (12-5) vs. Austin Lyons (10-3)
- Justin Frazier (6-1) vs. Mike Wessel (13-7)
- Ben Brewer (6-1) vs. Andy Uhrich (8-4)
- Anthony Lemon (2-3) vs. Codie Shuffield (4-0)
- Cortez Phelia (2-0) vs. Brain Hall (7-2)