Titan Fighting Championship is back with another star-studded event, this time in Newkirk, Oklahoma—a rare event outside of the promotion’s Kansas City home. Titan FC 28 taking place at the First Council Casino Hotel, headlined by a light heavyweight bout between Raphael Davis and Jason Brilz, also featured an abundance of recognizable names competing on the card. Including Dave Herman, Kalib Starnes, Brock Jardine, Daniel Roberts, DJ Linderman, Walt Harris, Brian Foster, Gilbert Smith, most of whom were making their Titan FC debuts. This was also the promotion’s 2nd event being aired on the CBS Network.
Raphael Davis (13-2) was coming off 3 straight knockout wins after suffering a loss to Linderman in Bellator, back in 2011. Davis had only competed once each calender year in 2012 and 2013. Davis comes into this fight having finished 12 of his 13 victories–5 KO/TKO, 7 submissions.
While Jason Brilz (21-5-1), is also coming off 3 straight wins in his career. Following his release from the UFC, where Brilz achieved a respectable 3-4 record—but lost his last 3 bouts—Brilz found success fighting for Victory Fighting Championship before signing with Titan FC.
The two light heavyweights fought to a close 3-round decision, with 2 of the 3 judges rewarding 2 rounds to Jason Brilz to take the split decision over Raphael Davis.
In the co-main event, Kalib Starnes (16-9-1) riding a 4-fight win streak–that includes 3 knockouts, fought his 2nd fight at heavyweight. Against Dave Herman (22-6), who competes in his first fight since being released by the UFC. Herman had lost 4 straight fights (3 knockouts) leading to his release.
Dave Herman would turn his career around an score his first win since 2011, with unanimous decision victory over Starnes. Herman went to a decision for just the 2nd time in his 28 fight career.
Walt Harris (6-3), a heavyweight with a ton of potential, bounced back from his two losses in his UFC, and continued his streak of all wins coming by first round knockout, with a Titan FC debut knockout win over D.J. Linderman (15-8) in the 1st round. A straight right hand–left hook combination landed by Harris was what put Linderman away.
Daniel Roberts (15-5) won a split decision over Brock Jardine (9-4), his first decision win since 2011 and making it 3 straight losses for Jardine.
Brian Foster (22-6) overcame a 2nd round low blow from Gilbert Smith (8-3) to win a unanimous decision. And Foster announced after the fight that this was his last fight at welterweight, and will be dropping to lightweight for his next bout. And Foster’s intention is to return to the UFC.
In the opening bout of the main card, top Brazilian featherweight prospect, Gleristone “Toninho Furia” Santos (26-4) extended his win streak to 8 straight, pounding out Alvin Robinson (13-8) with strikes in the 2nd round.
Full Titan FC 28 Results:
Main Card (10 PM EST, CBS Sports Network)
- Jason Brilz def. Raphael Davis via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Dave Herman def. Kalib Starnes via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Walt Harris def. D.J. Linderman via Knockout (punch)–Round 1, 4:12
- Daniel Roberts def. Brock Jardine via Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
- Brian Foster def. Gilbert Smith via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Gleristone Santos def. Alvin Robinson via TKO (punches)–Round 2, 4:51
Preliminary CARD (8:30 PM EST, CBSSports.com)
- Walel Watson def. William Joplin via Submission (rear naked choke)–Round 3, 2:29
- Pedro Nobre def. Dan O’Connor via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- David Nelson vs. Gaston Reyno–fought to a No-Contest (illegal knee)–Round 1, 2:02
Preliminary Card (7:30 PM EST, Untelevised)
- John Bryant def. Matt Foster via Submission (rear naked choke)–Round 1, 3:13
- Wayne Cole def. Tyler Minton via Submission (rear naked choke)–Round 1, 4:19