Takayo Hashi has added one more accolade to her mixed martial arts career: becoming the first Deep Jewels Middleweight (135 pounds) champion.
Hashi went toe to toe against Shizuka Sugiyama in the main event of last night’s Deep Jewels 4 card.
In round three, Hashi gained top control and Sugiyama to give up her back before she delivered some devastating ground and pound before the referee stopped the fight.
This isn’t Hashi’s first taste of gold. The Japanese fighter is a former Smackgirl Middleweight champion. She fought Sarah Kaufman for the Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight title in 2010, losing by decision. She also challenged Tara LaRosa and Cat Zingano to title fights but was unsuccessful.
This latest victory breaths new life into Hashi’s career and could be the first of more success down the road.
Who would you like to see Hashi fight in her first title defense? Answer with a comment below or send a tweet to @cagepagesfs.
Full Deep Jewels 4 results
- Takayo Hashi def. Shizuka Sugiyama via TKO in round three
- Saori Ishioka def. Satomi Takano via technical submission in round one
- Seo Hee Ham def. Yuuki Kira via decision (kickboxing)
- Mei Yamaguchi def. Yukiko Seki via technical submission in round one
- Tomo Maesawa def. Brittany Ann Decker via decision
- Ayaka Miura def. Ella Wu via technical submission (grappling)
- Naomi Taniyama def. Yuko Kawabata via decision
- Miyoko Kusaka def. Sayuri Yamaguchi via technical submission
- Shiori Hori def. Maya Dobashi via technical submission