#7 ranked heavyweight Stipe Miocic dispatched of natural 205lbs fighter Fabio Maldonado in the main event of the TUF Brazil 3 Finale in Sao Paolo, Brazil. Maldonado stepped up in weight as a late notice replacement for Junior dos Santos, and Miocic showed why that was a bad idea with a dominant win, handing Maldonado his first ever loss via TKO.
Maldonado came out aggressive, landing a 1-2, but left himself open to the counter and Miocic capitalised in brutal fashion. After rocking Maldonado with a left, Miocic remained patient and landed a huge right that dropped Maldonado, following up with ground and pound to win the fight.
Miocic has now win three in a row and will look to fight a top 5 ranked heavyweight next, with Maldonado seen as a tune-up fight before making the big step-up. Junior dos Santos, his original opponent, makes a ton of sense, as well as Alistair Overeem or Soa Palelei (if the UFC decide to match-up JDS and ‘Reem).
Here is how the fight played out:
Now for the main event as Maldonado moves up to heavyweight to fight #7 ranked Stipe Miocic. Miocic has won two in a row, while Maldonado has won his last three (albeit at light heavyweight). Miocic is a heavy favourite, though Maldonado with have the home crowd backing him all the way. Miocic is greeted by boos as he enters the Octagon.
Round 1 - Maldonado immediately pushing forwards and lands a 1-2. Miocic lands a huge left as part of a big combination and Maldonado backed up then protecting himself. Huge right by Miocic and some ground and pound and that’s your lot. Maldonado is out, Miocic gets a victory in a meaningless fight.
Result: Miocic via TKO (punches) at 0:35.
Easy win. Nothing to that fight. Maldonado loses his first in four, Miocic goes three in a row and that’s all there is to it.
Here are the results for full TUF finale. Check out our play-by-play of the entire card here.
Main Card (FOX Sports 1)
- Stipe Miocic def. Fabio Maldonado via TKO (punches) at 0:35 in first round.
- Antonio Carlos jr. def. Vitor Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28).
- Warlley Alves def. Marcio Alexandre jr. via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:25 in third round.
- Demian Maia def. Alexander Yakovlev via unanimous decision (30-27 x3).
- Robbie Peralta def. Rony Jason via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 30-27).
Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
- Ruslan Magomedov def. Rodrigo Damm via unanimous decision (30-27 x3).
- Elias Silverio def. Ernest Chavez via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:21 in second round.
- Gasan Umalatov def. Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28).
- Kevin Souza def. Mark Eddiva via TKO (punches) at 4:52 in second round.
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- Ricardo Abreu def. Wagner Silva via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:06 in second round.
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima def. Richardson Moreira via KO (punch) at 0:20 in first round.
- Pedro Munhoz def. Matt Hobar via TKO (punches) at 2:47 in first round.