Sep 21, 2013; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Alexander Gustafsson (left) fights Jon Jones during their Light Heavyweight Championship bout at UFC 165 at the Air Canada Centre. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-USA TODAY Sports

Alexander Gustafsson Wants The Fight With Jon Jones As The Number One Contender

Alexander Gustafsson voiced his displeasure and outrage after finding out the news that UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones suffered a torn meniscus and an ankle injury and his bout on September 27th at UFC 178 against Daniel Cormier would be postponed until January 3rd.

The former number one contender and Jones’ original opponent, Gustafsson wants the fight that was rightfully his to begin with and says he will be more than ready on January 3rd.

Gustafsson posted on his facebook the following:

I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????
Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!

‘The Mauler’ is currently rehabbing a knee injury—after having surgery on a torn meniscus of his own—that forced him out of the original main event of UFC 178, against Jon Jones. Gustafsson was awarded the rematch against Jon Jones following his victory over Jimi Manuwa at UFC Fight Night 37 in March. He previously lost a close split decision to the champion at UFC 165.

Unfortunately for Gustafsson, Lorenzo Fertitta has told Daniel Cormier that the fight against Jon Jones will remain his and will not go to Alexander Gustafsson.

Tags: Alexander Gustafsson Jon Jones UFC

comments powered by Disqus