After a highly anticipated fight, UFC Oklahoma City ends in controversy as Kevin Lee won by submission, by Michael Chiesa did not tap.
Referee Mario Yamasaki was the center of controversy for the main event as he awarded Kevin Lee a win by submission. However, Michael Chiesa never tapped out. The hype for this match was big as Lee and Chiesa stole the show at the UFC summer press conference. However, the hype was taken away by a bad call.
In the co-main event of UFC Oklahoma City, Tim Boetsch proved that middleweight might not be the right spot for Johny Hendricks. Despite being at a weight disadvantage by a couple of pounds, Boetsch’s right leg kick helped him pick up a massive TKO win.
In the opening act of the main card, B.J. Penn dropped his fifth straight match and winless in his last six. He is 0-2 since coming out of retirement. Tim Means earned a unanimous decision win over Alex Garcia. Dominick Reyes TKO’d Joachim Christensen in 29 seconds for the fastest fight of the night in Oklahoma City. Felice Herrig also won by unanimous decision, doing so over Justine Kish.
To open up the FS2 part of the preliminary card, Darrell Horcher picked up a narrow, split decision win after a 14-month layoff due to a motorcycle accident. Former UFC women’s strawweight champion Carla Esparza tops Maryna Moroz by unanimous decision and could possibly move into the top five of the division in the rankings.
Marvin Vettori followed Esparza’s unanimous decision win with one of his own over Vitor Miranda. To wrap up the preliminary part of UFC Oklahoma City, MMA veteran Clay Guida was successful in his return to lightweight, picking up a unanimous decision win.
During the UFC Fight Pass prelims portion of UFC Oklahoma City, Jeremy Kimball opened up with a first round TKO win. This was Kimball’s first win inside the octagon. Tony Martin added to an impressive resume lately, winning his third straight fight as he feels he deserves a spot in the top 15 of the lightweight division.
To finish off the Fight Pass portion, Jared Gordon picked up a TKO win in his UFC debut. Gordon, however, did miss weight by three pounds.
MAIN CARD (FS1, 9 p.m. ET)
- Kevin Lee def. Michael Chiesa via Technical Submission (rear-naked choke), Round 1, 4:37
- Tim Boetsch def. Johny Hendricks via TKO (leg kick and punches), Round 2, 0:46
- Felice Herrig def. Justine Kish via unanimous decision (30-26 x2, 29-27)
- Dominick Reyes def. Joachim Christensen via TKO (punches), Round 1, 0:29
- Tim Means def. Alex Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Dennis Siver def. B.J. Penn via majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FS2,7 p.m. ET)
- Clay Guida def. Erik Koch via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-26, 29-28)
- Marvin Vettori def. Vitor Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28,)
- Carla Esparaza def. Maryna Moroz via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x2)
- Darrell Horcher def. Devin Powell via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 5:30 p.m. ET)
- Jared Gordon def. Michel Quinones via TKO (punches), Round 2, 4:24
- Tony Martin def. Johnny Case via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Jeremy Kimball def. Josh Stansbury via TKO (punches), Round 1, 1:21